What to do if someone dies abroad
When someone dies in another country, the stress of bereavement can be increased by having to deal with an unfamiliar system and, in many cases, an unfamiliar language. This can be further exacerbated by the worry of repatriation costs.
However, there is plenty of information available to help manage the process and hopefully minimise potential additional stress. Here are some useful links.
England and Wales
This offers two leaflets:
Death overseas, which includes information on:
- How the Foreign and Commenwealth Office can help when someone dies overseas
- How UK authorities can help if someone has been murdered or died in suspicious circumstances
Guide for bereaved families, which includes information on:
- The role of the coroner in England and Wales when someone dies abroad
- Post mortems
- Police investigations
- Claiming compensation
- Who to tell about the death
Provides brief details on what to do when someone dies abroad
Includes advice on:
- What do if someone suffers a suspicious death overseas
- Claiming criminal injuries compensation
Includes advice on:
- Documents you’ll need to register the death
- Documents you’ll need to bring the body home
Helpline: 0844 477 9400
Young person's freephone helpline: 0808 808 1677
Cruse bereavement care exists to promote the wellbeing of bereaved people.
Helpline: 0845 123 2304
The compassionate friends provides one-to-one support and local support groups.
Helpline: 0870 0113450
WAY offers support to men and women up to ae of 50 who have lost their partner.
Helpline: 020 7837 3337
London Friend offers support and practical information to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered callers who have been bereaved or are preparing for bereavement.
Helpline: 0121471 1200
SAMMS offers a confidential telephone helpline where you can talk to someone who has experienced the devastating effects of murder or manslaughter.
Helpline: 0845 20 30 405
Winston's Wish supports children and young people following a family bereavement.
Helpline: 0800 02 888 40
Provides support and information to families when a child dies or is bereaved.