Welcome to the Dying Matters Photography Competition ‘Celebrating Life in the Face of Death’.
THIS COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED
This fundraising competition gives you the opportunity to contribute to our charitable work, win some exciting Prizes and have your photograph included as part of a touring photography exhibition.
To enter, you need to submit a photograph and text to Celebrate Life in the Face of Death. Your photograph could be a place, person, or object or abstract composition exploring dying, death or bereavement which:
- Is a memory or moment of someone or something special in your life
- Is a representation of a life changing experience or achievement
- Depicts community spirit
- Reminds you of mortality
Dying Matters - Celebrating Life in the Face of Death
Every minute someone dies, but many of us don't engage with end of life issues.
Death is a sensitive and emotionally charged topic. For some, it's tragic and frightening, heartbreaking and full of despair. For others, it's peaceful and provides an opportunity to reflect on life. How we approach dying, death and bereavement is intensely personal.
We must all face death, irrespective of class, status or privilege, thus making it a truly a universal experience. Despite this, there is a genuine lack of representative images of Dying, Death and Bereavement. Often the media resort to stereotypes or avoid the issue altogether. This competition aims this address this challenge.
By entering this competition you will be helping to break down taboos, and help more people to talk, act and share.
- The competition is open for entries from: Tuesday, 25 October 2016
- Closing date: Monday 9th January 2017
- Judging and short listing of entries will take place by Tuesday, 31 January 2017
- Entries will be judged in two categories. (1) Student/Amateur Photographer (2) Professional Photographer
- The official announcement of the winners will be at The National Council for Palliative Care's 25th Anniversary event at the House of Lords in February 2017
- The winning and highly commended entries of the competition will become a national touring exhibition
- We will also share entries online via social media, and intend to have a dedicated part of our website to exhibit the winning and highly commended images
- We intend to produce a Dying Matters information booklet of the winning images to accompany the tour
- This is a fundraising competition and an entry fee will apply. This fee will be used for the charitable work of The National Council for Palliative Care and Dying Matters
- Please see our Terms & Conditions for further essential information
Who are The National Council for Palliative Care and Dying Matters?
Founded in 1991, The National Council for Palliative Care (NCPC) is a registered charity (No:1005671) which provides training, leadership and support to improve end of life care and bereavement for all.
Dying Matters is the public facing arm of our charitable work which provides information, resources, support, focus groups, and training to help people start conversations about dying, death and bereavement.
Altogether we have over 36,000 members and subscribers who include health care professionals, companies, professional societies and members of the public.